Nano One is looking for an experienced, ambitious and creative research scientist with proven research and development experience, and an interest in industrial technology development. We are inviting applications from people with experience in inorganic thin film/nanomaterials synthesis chemistry.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline participating and sharing their creative input on a variety of ongoing projects across a team of dedicated scientists, engineers and technicians.
The candidate will be involved in developing and characterizing high capacity, high voltage cathode materials and is expected to work and solve multi-variable problems in synthesis, structural characterization, electrochemical characterization and scaled-up production for commercial purposes. The successful candidate will join the commercialization effort to control and reliably tune the nanostructure and interfacial chemistries of cathode materials for optimal electrochemical performance and scaled-up production.
Nano One has a collaborative leadership culture. It is expected that the research scientist is actively engaged in working in an R&D lab.
This is a contract position with the option to renew to a permanent contract of employment.
The applicant’s duties would initially involve participating in activities that include:
- Synthesis of cathode materials including but not limited to NMC, LMNO and LFP.
- Battery test cell assembly and electrochemical characterization testing.
- Test plans and problem-solving as necessary.
- Characterizing nanoscale materials using a variety of techniques.
- Learning project management and leadership skills to work successfully with other scientists to synthesize materials and establish process/structure/function relationships.
- Working with engineers, technicians and company leaders to scale and commercialize Nano One technology.
- Drafting proposals, writing technical reports and presenting progress on milestones.
- Other related duties as necessary that further the candidate’s longer-term career aspirations and goals.
Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of 2-5 years of direct experience working in a collaborative R&D team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, electrochemistry and/or material science.
- Industry or equivalent hands-on experience with Li-ion energy storage technologies is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with tools, laboratory apparatus and analytical equipment.
- Understanding of ion and/or electron transport within materials.
- Proficiency in Li-ion battery technology and familiarity with methods for testing active materials is preferred.
- Proficiency in the principles and techniques for a range of methods in materials characterization (e.g., XRD, TGA, SEM, EDX, XPS, FTIR, GC/MS, CV, ICPMS).
- Proven organizational skills, and capable of working with large multi-variable data sets.
- Python programming experience is welcomed.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.
- Self-starter, ability to establish realistic deadlines, and demonstrated time-management skills.
- Proven team player.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter explaining why they are the best candidate for this position.
Nano One is a young, dynamic company developing scalable industrial processing technology for the low-cost production of high-performance nanostructured lithium-ion battery cathode materials. Once we have successfully demonstrated at bench scale, our state of the art pilot plant simulates full-scale production.
The pilot makes use of equipment common to industry and is designed with the flexibility to demonstrate a variety of processing concepts for the production of all cathode materials, including lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide, high voltage spinel and lithium iron phosphate.