Nano One is looking for an experienced, ambitious and creative Ph.D. inorganic chemist with proven research and development experience, and an interest in industrial technology development. We are inviting applications from people with experience in inorganic thin film/nanomaterials synthesis chemistry.
The successful candidate will work as a subject matter expert providing creative input on a variety of ongoing projects across a team of dedicated scientists, engineers and technicians.
The candidate will be developing and characterizing high capacity, high voltage cathode materials and is expected to work and solve multi-variable problems in synthesis, structural characterization, electrochemical characterization and scaled-up production for commercial purposes. The successful candidate will join the commercialization effort to control and reliably tune the nanostructure and interfacial chemistries of cathode materials for optimal electrochemical performance and scaled-up production.
Nano One has a collaborative leadership culture. It is expected that the senior scientist is actively engaged in working in an R&D lab.
This is a contract position with the option to renew to a permanent contract of employment.
The applicant’s duties would be to act as a subject matter expert providing creative input on a variety of different projects including but not limited to:
- Synthesis of cathode materials including but not limited to NMC, LMNO and LFP.
- Developing coating technologies
- Battery test cell assembly and electrochemical characterization testing.
- Test plans and problem-solving as necessary.
- Characterizing nanoscale materials using a variety of techniques.
- Leading other scientists to synthesize materials and establish process/structure/function relationships.
- Working with scientists, engineers, technicians and company leaders to scale and commercialize Nano One technology.
- Training, mentoring and supervising junior employees, as required.
- Drafting proposals, writing technical reports and presenting progress on milestones.
- Other related duties as necessary that further the candidate’s longer-term career aspirations and goals.
- A minimum of 2-5 years of direct experience working in a collaborative R&D team environment is a requirement of this position.
- Significant experience or a Ph.D. in inorganic chemistry, electrochemistry, and/or material science.
- Industry or equivalent hands-on experience with Li-ion energy storage technologies.
- Hands-on experience with tools, laboratory apparatus and analytical equipment.
- Thorough understanding of ion and/or electron transport within materials.
- Proficiency in the principles and techniques for a range of methods in materials characterization (e.g., XRD, TGA, SEM, EDX, XPS, FTIR, GC/MS, CV, ICPMS).
- Proven organizational skills, and capable of working with large multi-variable data sets.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.
- Self-starter, ability to establish realistic deadlines, and demonstrated time-management skills.
- Proven team player and experience motivating others.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter explaining why they are the best candidate for this position.
Nano One is a young, dynamic company developing scalable industrial processing technology for the low-cost production of high-performance nanostructured lithium-ion battery cathode materials. Once we have successfully demonstrated at bench scale, our state of the art pilot plant simulates full-scale production.
The pilot makes use of equipment common to industry and is designed with the flexibility to demonstrate a variety of processing concepts for the production of all cathode materials, including lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide, high voltage spinel and lithium iron phosphate.