The world is transforming, and we intend to play an integral part in accelerating the worlds transition to sustainable energy. Nano One Materials Corporation (Nano One) is a dynamic “clean tech” company with a technology for the synthesis of lithium-ion battery materials. We are currently developing novel cathode materials and are scaling up to commercialize our technology. It is an exciting and dynamic time in the lithium-ion battery industry, and we are looking to expand our Business Development team to help Nano One capitalize on the exciting developments in the industry and be instrumental in the future of battery development. If you are a driven Business Development leader with knowledge of and passion for battery materials and clean tech solutions, this may be the opportunity for you!
The VP, Business Development (Battery Materials) brings deep technical and business experience spanning innovation to commercialization, in the areas of cathode materials development, manufacturing and/ or cell design and development or similar industries, to Nano One’s Business Development team. The VP, BD plays a vital role in the full sales process, with emphasis on prospecting opportunities and securing new clients or partners. This individual will contribute to efficient processes related to business development activities, in collaboration with the BD team. This individual will support and participate in external communication of deliverables and internal reporting to the Nano One team. The VP, BD (Battery Materials), as part of the BD team, will contribute to quantitative and qualitative analysis, competitive research and analysis and stay current on market trends and analysis through industry-specific continuous education and networking.
The VP, BD (Battery Materials), with input from the Executive team and collaboration with the BD team, will co-develop the BD and Sales strategy and roadmap, translating the company vision into tailored communication outlining the value proposition for each customer profile. The VP, BD (Battery Materials) will take a strategic approach to prioritizing whom to approach when and with the appropriate tailored sales pitch. The individual brings a deep understanding of the client needs, through experience as well as active listening and purposeful discussion, that they utilize to persuasively convey how the company can help address those needs.
As this role is a front-facing key representative of the company, skilled relationship management of strategic partnerships and important clients is critical to the role. The VP, BD (Battery Materials) may introduce new opportunities to the organization, assemble the required cross-functional team or individuals to advance the negotiation or deal, and then finalize all the legal documentation and logistical planning to complete the agreement. As such, the person needs to recognize how to leverage the broader cross-functional team at the senior level to complete the sales negotiation and professionally nurture that relationship.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Prioritize end markets, partners, and plans route to market
- Build an associated deal timeline to map out the milestones and required growth to meet targets
- Provide the technical depth required to convey our process technology, and materials made with our technology, to the customers’ technical team members (material scientists, electro-chemists, chemical engineers, etc.) as well as their sales and business team members
- Manages the phase gate and commercialization processes for each partner in these market segments and applications working across business units
- Support the new partner on-boarding process that outlines expectations, including kick-off meetings, reporting, technical updates, testing protocols, feedback mechanisms and C-suite involvement
- Maintain regular reporting on the Business Development team’s achievement against objectives in a monthly dashboard format for management and the board
- Contribute to the BD and Sales strategy through comprehensive industry research to understand all the key players in the supply chain, analysis of compatibility with our value proposition, identifying cross collaborations, recommending priorities and determining approach plan
- Identify and direct cross-functional and cross-organizational business actions to meet customer requests and product needs
- BCom degree or MBA or equivalent experience
- Ten (10) + years in a combination of Sales, Business Development, Industry Research and/or Lithium-ion battery supply chain
- Extensive technical and business experience spanning from innovation to commercialization, in the areas of cathode materials development, manufacturing and/ or cell design and development or similar industries (may have previously held roles such as materials scientist, chemical engineer in the lithium-ion battery industry)
- Strong business acumen and big picture understanding of the lithium-ion battery supply chain
- Excellent interpersonal skills and relationship-building
- Proven ability to prepare, direct and review legal documents (NDAs, MTAs, JDAs) to an advanced stage ready for senior executive level review and execution
- Capable of, and comfortable with, participating in financial modelling discussions with potential customers
- Exceptional communication skills: clear and concise, excellent presentation and negotiation skills
- Ability to anticipate and identify underlying customer needs, effectively communicate the company’s value proposition, technology, process, and current partnerships to provide a compelling case and the required support to close the sale
- Strong team player, skilled at leveraging team members’ strengths to maximize company success
- Demonstrated attention to detail across all areas of responsibility
- Experience in technology licencing and/or M&A is an asset
- Please submit your resume to email@example.com with the subject title “VP, Business Development (Battery Materials)”